Skip to main content

Animated Movies To Help You Cope With The Loss of a Loved One

"Know that I'm with you the only way that I can be. Until you're in my arms again. Remember Me" -- Miguel (Coco)

Losing someone you care about most deeply is never easy to come to terms with. Even if they aren't gone yet, you have to essentially prepare for the inevitable.

While I am not one for being vulnerable with my feelings, it is only fitting with this blog post. I have been close with my grandmother for 20 years. We have never been apart. When I was little, we (meaning my parents and grandparents) moved from Livermore to Stockton. While I have no recollection of this move, I do remember my childhood home. The small single story-home with a two-car garage. The greenery which spanned across the front. Cars occasionally passing by as we overlooked an empty field (which was now the soccer field of  Weston Ranch High). So many memories: good and bad have occurred within that house. Bringing home our first and only St. Bernard puppy. Breaking my arm at my best friend's birthday party. Going to Disneyland's 50th anniversary. The fire that flamed and almost jumped our fence. Countless trips to different areas of the West Coast. My parents almost leaving each other. The passing of our dog. -- finally, leaving our home when my mother bought our new home in an auction. Ten years later, the memories are still there.

However, my grandmother hasn't always been mentally with us. With her Alzheimer's, she's just like Mama Coco. Sitting in her chair, unable to speak her mind. Occasionally smiling and questioning, but her memory has become blurred. 80 years of a long-remember narrative now forgotten. While she has not gotten to the point of forgetting who we are, I often hope that she Remembers Us.

Okay, wipe those tears away and take a deep breathe. Losing loved ones is the never-ending cycle of the Circle of Life. We can only recall these memories and acknowledge and love them for how they have impacted or contributed to our life.

If you, or anyone, is in need of help with coping with the loss of a loved one: there is no better way to do it than watching a beautifully animated movie that not only takes you to a place which is unlike your own but rings with a familiarity that can be found within your heart.

So, without further ado, I present:



ANIMATED MOVIES TO HELP YOU COPE WITH THE LOSS OF A LOVED ONE

1.
Moana (2016)

Being part Filipino-Islander, I can relate the most to Moana. Not only is she an only-child who is trying to do her family proud but she has this strong connection with Grandma Tala. She not only receives guidance from her, but she learns the stories of her ancestors and her past. While my grandmother on my father's side is Italian and Eastern European -- she very much exhibits the same characteristics as Grandma Tala. When I first saw Moana in theaters, it really resonated the most with me. My grandmother had fallen not once, but three times when none of us were by her side. She, like Grandma Tala, was hanging by a thread. When Moana started crying not wanting her to leave, I could empathize with her. I felt her emotion. It felt so real. However, when Grandma Tala returns towards the middle of the movie to guide Moana when she is at her all-time low, it gave me hope. It helped me cope with the situation that I was in. Thus, Moana was (and still is) a movie filled with adventure, passion, and a lot of heart.

2.
Coco (2018)
Oh, Mama Coco. Poor Coco. This is the movie that you're going to need a bunch of tissues for because truly … I don't think you'll be able to get through the last 10 minutes of the movie without crying. Disney x Pixar Animation is not only phenomenal at storytelling, but it is wonderful at expressing a yearning for the impossible. While I am not Latina, I see Coco in my grandmother. When we first see Coco, Miguel is so happy to have her by his side yet he doesn't realize that Coco won't be there forever. However, all who pass are believed to go the Land of the Dead. While I won't spoil the twists and shocking moments, it is surely a story you will not forget. Coco tries to recall her past, but it isn't until Miguel begins playing: Remember Me that her inner child and liveliness returns -- even for a moment. Coco in this moment isn't lost, she is found.



3.
Up (2009)
I couldn't not make this list without including the Disney x Pixar classic: Up. While the first ten minutes of the movie are utterly a cry-fest, its overall message continues to resonate throughout the film. Carl Frederickson lives alone in his home. While Ellie, his late-wife, always yearned to travel and go to Paradise Falls -- he makes it happen. While I am not sure if my grandfather has watched this animated feature, I will say that I see a lot of characteristics of Carl in him. While my grandmother isn't physically gone, there are elements that he wishes he could bring back. However, just like Carl takes his home with him as a reminder of Ellie, my grandfather too carries my grandmother with him. From his photograph in his wallet to his wedding ring. He misses their past yet forces himself to move on and live in the now. While lost, you can still carry elements of your loved ones with you. Always.

OTHER HONORABLE MENTIONS
4.
The Lion King (1994)

5.

Lilo & Stitch (2002)

Remember, you aren't alone in this. Losing the loss of a loved one is a difficult time filled with grief, difficulty getting back to reality, and denial. But, I am hoping (in a similar way that I try to cope through film) that these animated features can help bring some light, hope, and inspiration back into your life -- even for a moment.

xx Alicia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 3 MCU Movies To Help Awaken Your Inner Superhero

“I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers… I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it’s giving us something. It is giving us a chance.” – Star-Lord ( Guardians of the Galaxy ) People are not born superheroes, they become one.  It should be no surprise that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has inspired thousands of fans -- young and old alike for its captivating storytelling. From web-slingers to super-soldiers, Marvel Studios has created superheroes that inspire us to become heroes of our own.  Growing up, I didn't really know about superheroes. Sure, I knew Superman and Wonder Woman (which I am well aware is DC Comics) -- but I was a Disney kid at heart. I loved the princesses and the classic storytelling -- specifically movies in the Disney Renaissance Era. Aladdin. Lion King. Beauty and the Beast. These were strong protagonists who became a better version of themselves through selfless

The Top 10 Movies That Promote Teamwork

"Don't you realize? The next time you see the sky, it'll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it'll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the best of stuff for us. But right now, they got to do what's right for them. Because it's their time. Their time! Up there! Down here, it's our time. It's our time down here." -- Mikey (The Goonies) TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK Whether you are an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert -- like it or not, teamwork is one aspect within our lives that isn't going anywhere. Teamwork is a term that we all need to better familiarize ourselves with. You might be thinking: "--but, I can do these things on my own. I'm independent. I don't need the help of others". But, you do! We all do! While it may seem exhausting to be apart of a team, it can actually be quite refreshing. Teamwork means collaborating with others who have a different perspective and insight in