Skip to main content

The Top 5 Shows To Help You With Family Drama




"Oh, Mylanta!" - DJ Tanner (Full House)

This should come to no one's surprise -- families can be tough -- believe me, I would know.

For much of my life, I have been living under the same roof as not only my parents, but my grandparents. There was even a time when my aunt and cousins lived with us. Can you say: chaotic?

My friends would tease me and say that my life was like Full House. They were right, except I didn't have an Uncle Jesse or Joey who constantly helped me with my problems nor did I have a Michelle or Stefanie constantly bugging me. But, I sure did have a Danny Tanner. (Still love you, Mom!) Regardless, families are always unique and are never one and the same. However, there are problems which almost every family faces that genuinely can be considered relatable to almost everyone. Almost.



TOP TELEVISION SHOWS ON NETFLIX TO COPE WITH FAMILY DRAMA:


1.

Now, this shouldn't be a surprise considering all of the Full House references from above. Although a sequel to the original, Fuller House is the epitome of a family drama-comedy. While the television series follows the life of multiple families: The Tanner-Fullers, The Gibblers, … etc, each episode consists of a familiar problem which tends to be resolved by the end of the episode. Not only does each episode showcase a meaningful message, but each episode is especially heartening to watch. If you haven't watched Full House or Fuller House, this is definitely a show to start binge-watching from the beginning.



2.


Although not a Netflix original, Gilmore Girls is an absolute classic! Gilmore Girls follows the story of a young daughter (Rory) and her mother (Lorelai) in the town of Stars Hollow. This show is filled with drama which continuously unfolds, yet teaches all characters very specific lessons throughout their life. For Rory, it is growing up and doing what you believe is to be right. For Lorelai, it is creating a dream and sticking to it. 

For me, I always seem to be relived after watching. Within the earlier seasons, Rory encounters her grandparents and learns how to not only deal with them, but learns to accept them for who they are. This is very relatable to me because I live with both my grandparents. While there can be misunderstandings, Gilmore Girls knows how to rethink what being a family means.


While each episode is approximately 40 minutes, I would still take the time out of your day to watch at least one episode of your choosing to experience the life of the Gilmores.



3.

**Much like Fuller House, this is a sequel to Gilmore Girls. While I would personally advise to wait to watch this show, this still serves the same purpose as a wonderful family drama with difficult and challenging situations for an older Rory and Lorelai.



TOP TELEVISION SHOWS ON PRIME-TIME TO COPE WITH FAMILY DRAMA:

4.

Yes, I know. I am breaking the rules a bit, but I could NOT leave this show out. This Is Us is one of the most well-received shows on prime-time television. Don't believe me? See for Yourself.

This Is Us follows the story of The Pearsons within multiple separate storylines following: Rebecca/Jack, Randall, Kevin, and Kate. While the show bounces back, forward, and far into the future, the show feels intrinsically and without a doubt -- real. When I say you are going to need tissues, you might want to bring the entire box with you. Although This Is Us has entered its third season, The Pearsons' story is far from being told. Each character must overcome various problems within their lives that it becomes so overpowering watching their stories unfold.

Now, what do I recommend? Binge. Watch. The. Show.


5.

Modern Family … the epitome of family drama. Now, I am not saying that This Is Us or Fuller House doesn't have family drama -- but Modern Family is at a completely different level. Told in a similar documentary style to The Office, the series offers a hilarious insight into the lives of Phil and Claire and their children. Breaking the stereotypical 1950s model of family television, you'll be glad that you don't have to experience a family quite like this. However, this family proves that being a perfect family isn't always the best -- but it does make you stronger than ever before. This is a family who allows everyone to be themselves. That in itself is what makes them a modern family.


-- Alicia














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 3 MCU Movies To Help Awaken Your Inner Superhero

“I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers… I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it’s giving us something. It is giving us a chance.” – Star-Lord ( Guardians of the Galaxy ) People are not born superheroes, they become one.  It should be no surprise that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has inspired thousands of fans -- young and old alike for its captivating storytelling. From web-slingers to super-soldiers, Marvel Studios has created superheroes that inspire us to become heroes of our own.  Growing up, I didn't really know about superheroes. Sure, I knew Superman and Wonder Woman (which I am well aware is DC Comics) -- but I was a Disney kid at heart. I loved the princesses and the classic storytelling -- specifically movies in the Disney Renaissance Era. Aladdin. Lion King. Beauty and the Beast. These were strong protagonists who became a better version of themselves through selfless

The Top 10 Movies That Promote Teamwork

"Don't you realize? The next time you see the sky, it'll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it'll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the best of stuff for us. But right now, they got to do what's right for them. Because it's their time. Their time! Up there! Down here, it's our time. It's our time down here." -- Mikey (The Goonies) TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK Whether you are an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert -- like it or not, teamwork is one aspect within our lives that isn't going anywhere. Teamwork is a term that we all need to better familiarize ourselves with. You might be thinking: "--but, I can do these things on my own. I'm independent. I don't need the help of others". But, you do! We all do! While it may seem exhausting to be apart of a team, it can actually be quite refreshing. Teamwork means collaborating with others who have a different perspective and insight in

Animated Movies To Help You Cope With The Loss of a Loved One

"Know that I'm with you the only way that I can be. Until you're in my arms again. Remember Me" -- Miguel (Coco) Losing someone you care about most deeply is never easy to come to terms with. Even if they aren't gone yet, you have to essentially prepare for the inevitable. While I am not one for being vulnerable with my feelings, it is only fitting with this blog post. I have been close with my grandmother for 20 years. We have never been apart. When I was little, we (meaning my parents and grandparents) moved from Livermore to Stockton. While I have no recollection of this move, I do remember my childhood home. The small single story-home with a two-car garage. The greenery which spanned across the front. Cars occasionally passing by as we overlooked an empty field (which was now the soccer field of  Weston Ranch High). So many memories: good and bad have occurred within that house. Bringing home our first and only St. Bernard puppy. Breaking my arm at