Skip to main content

The 10 Most Empowering Movies To Watch In Honor Of International Women's Day



"You got into Harvard Law? … What like it's hard?" -- Elle Woods (Legally Blonde)

For those of you unaware, today (March 8th, 2019) is International Women's Day!

While next year will mark the 100th anniversary of an International Women's Day, it doesn't make the 99th anniversary any less special. Today is a global celebration of the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements that all women have and will be accomplishing in the near future. While you may be questioning the importance of this day, it means a lot for us girls who haven't gotten the recognition we have yearned for over the years.

When I woke up this morning, the first thing I did was check my Twitter. (I know some of you hate Twitter … and I'm sorry!) I expected the same routine. Checking on the United States Trending Page which seems to be filled with saddening news to say the least. Do me a favor and don't mention Luke Perry to me for a while -- I 'm still a wreck. But, nonetheless: as soon as my eyes came across the words: International Women's Day, my entire mood changed. So, while some of you may think that it's a useless day, for many of us it is a day of: uniting, celebrating, reflecting, and above all: feeling a sense of empowerment.

Within all of the ongoing havoc in the world, this one day makes us pretty proud to be female.

So, in honor of International Women's Day -- I suggest taking a break to celebrate everything females have accomplished this year (and every year before) by watching strong and memorable female leads displayed across your television screen. Trust me, you won't regret it.


THE 10 MOST EMPOWERING MOVIES TO WATCH IN HONOR OF INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY

** = Available on Netflix

1.
Mulan (1998)**
2. 
Hidden Figures (2016)
3. 
Wonder Woman (2017)
4.
 Legally Blonde (2001)**
5. 
Moana (2016)
6. 
Miss Congeniality (2000)

7. 
The Help (2011)
8.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
9.
Hunger Games (2012)
10.
 Captain Marvel (2019)

Do you have a favorite movie that makes you feel empowered? Leave a comment down below!

Until Next Time!

xx Alicia





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 3 MCU Movies To Help Awaken Your Inner Superhero

“I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers… I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it’s giving us something. It is giving us a chance.” – Star-Lord ( Guardians of the Galaxy ) People are not born superheroes, they become one.  It should be no surprise that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has inspired thousands of fans -- young and old alike for its captivating storytelling. From web-slingers to super-soldiers, Marvel Studios has created superheroes that inspire us to become heroes of our own.  Growing up, I didn't really know about superheroes. Sure, I knew Superman and Wonder Woman (which I am well aware is DC Comics) -- but I was a Disney kid at heart. I loved the princesses and the classic storytelling -- specifically movies in the Disney Renaissance Era. Aladdin. Lion King. Beauty and the Beast. These were strong protagonists who became a better version of themselves through selfless

The Top 10 Movies That Promote Teamwork

"Don't you realize? The next time you see the sky, it'll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it'll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the best of stuff for us. But right now, they got to do what's right for them. Because it's their time. Their time! Up there! Down here, it's our time. It's our time down here." -- Mikey (The Goonies) TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK Whether you are an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert -- like it or not, teamwork is one aspect within our lives that isn't going anywhere. Teamwork is a term that we all need to better familiarize ourselves with. You might be thinking: "--but, I can do these things on my own. I'm independent. I don't need the help of others". But, you do! We all do! While it may seem exhausting to be apart of a team, it can actually be quite refreshing. Teamwork means collaborating with others who have a different perspective and insight in

Animated Movies To Help You Cope With The Loss of a Loved One

"Know that I'm with you the only way that I can be. Until you're in my arms again. Remember Me" -- Miguel (Coco) Losing someone you care about most deeply is never easy to come to terms with. Even if they aren't gone yet, you have to essentially prepare for the inevitable. While I am not one for being vulnerable with my feelings, it is only fitting with this blog post. I have been close with my grandmother for 20 years. We have never been apart. When I was little, we (meaning my parents and grandparents) moved from Livermore to Stockton. While I have no recollection of this move, I do remember my childhood home. The small single story-home with a two-car garage. The greenery which spanned across the front. Cars occasionally passing by as we overlooked an empty field (which was now the soccer field of  Weston Ranch High). So many memories: good and bad have occurred within that house. Bringing home our first and only St. Bernard puppy. Breaking my arm at