Skip to main content

The Best Animated Movie For Exposure To Gendered Stereotypes

I really am just a dumb bunny -- Judy Hopps (Ginnifer Goodwin)


Updated: 7/8/22

IN OUR SOCIETY, we live in a world where gendered stereotypes are a clawing reminder of our current surroundings. We are told to be ourselves, yet, are confined by others. To remain in a particular safe space or bubble. What makes a society work is learning how to defy these stereotypes. How? By unlocking our true potential -- regardless of what society may say is such.

If you aren't familiar with the term, 'stereotype', to put it simply, a stereotype is a wide societal judgement or bias in which a person or group is exaggerated. While I could easily make the entirety of this post about the sole description of various stereotypes, this isn't my intent. However, IF you are interested in more information on familiarizing yourself with what exactly it means to be gendered or stereotyped, I have provided a few links below. If not, ON TO THE NEXT SECTION!





The Walt Disney Company has been making animated films for almost over 100 years -- which is no easy feat! From princesses to princes. Castles to cottages. Sea, Earth, and Sky ... this Animated studio has brought to life stories where we can laugh, cry, and return to again and again. 

Much like Disney's Fox and the Hound, a tale of unlikely friends who become 'the best of friends', Disney Animation Studio's 2016 Feature Film, Zootopia, follows the story of an unlikely duo: a bunny and a fox. Judy Hopps (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman) learn what it means to like 'the other species' despite their flaws.

While I would HATE to give away the ENTIRE movie, I would like to place your attention on a particular clip from the film.

For Context: Judy is a bunny with BIG dreams who leaves her life in BunnyBurrow to become a cop in the urban sprawl of Zootopia. Despite good grades (and being the best in her class), Chief Bogo (Idris Elba) doubts her abilities and places her on parking duty. Way ... to go? When she meets Nick Wilde on her first day, he isn't who he says he is. Bunny .... meet your pawpsicle aficionado. 


The animated world, much like our own, is not always sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns (though I'm sure Bing-Bong and Joy would LOVE it if it were). Our perception of life shifts from 'what we expect' to 'how it actually can be'. 

As Nick states, he doesn't think she fits the category of what an actual officer should look like. There are still people who believe that a specific gender, person, or group cannot and should not reach for particular goals and dreams to benefit the rest of society's expectations. Zootopia is a great film for those with little ones who don't necessarily know how to explain these specific topics to younglings. Or, if you need a refresher course. Or, just need some inspiration as to how Judy overcomes her obstacles (I know I can relate). 

Need another clip to be convinced? You've got it!

After becoming more accepted in the community, Judy discovers on a quest with Nick what it means when the city of Zootopia claims that animals are going savage. When forced to give a speech, their relationship seems to ... pause. Much in the way that Nick stereotyped Judy, Judy does the same. And, oof -- is it harsh. Thanks for 'stating the facts' Hopps!


While we may not be able to understand what gender stereotypes ARE at first, we can LEARN and GROW. WE can become more educated through exposition and lessons. While this was a very short overview of Disney's Zootopia (as well as gender stereotypes), I shall leave you with a few more articles if you REALLY feel like diving into the topic. 




TTFN! Ta-Ta, for now!

- ALICIA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 3 MCU Movies To Help Awaken Your Inner Superhero

“I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers… I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it’s giving us something. It is giving us a chance.” – Star-Lord ( Guardians of the Galaxy ) People are not born superheroes, they become one.  It should be no surprise that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has inspired thousands of fans -- young and old alike for its captivating storytelling. From web-slingers to super-soldiers, Marvel Studios has created superheroes that inspire us to become heroes of our own.  Growing up, I didn't really know about superheroes. Sure, I knew Superman and Wonder Woman (which I am well aware is DC Comics) -- but I was a Disney kid at heart. I loved the princesses and the classic storytelling -- specifically movies in the Disney Renaissance Era. Aladdin. Lion King. Beauty and the Beast. These were strong protagonists who became a better version of themselves through selfless

The Top 10 Movies That Promote Teamwork

"Don't you realize? The next time you see the sky, it'll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it'll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the best of stuff for us. But right now, they got to do what's right for them. Because it's their time. Their time! Up there! Down here, it's our time. It's our time down here." -- Mikey (The Goonies) TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK Whether you are an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert -- like it or not, teamwork is one aspect within our lives that isn't going anywhere. Teamwork is a term that we all need to better familiarize ourselves with. You might be thinking: "--but, I can do these things on my own. I'm independent. I don't need the help of others". But, you do! We all do! While it may seem exhausting to be apart of a team, it can actually be quite refreshing. Teamwork means collaborating with others who have a different perspective and insight in

Animated Movies To Help You Cope With The Loss of a Loved One

"Know that I'm with you the only way that I can be. Until you're in my arms again. Remember Me" -- Miguel (Coco) Losing someone you care about most deeply is never easy to come to terms with. Even if they aren't gone yet, you have to essentially prepare for the inevitable. While I am not one for being vulnerable with my feelings, it is only fitting with this blog post. I have been close with my grandmother for 20 years. We have never been apart. When I was little, we (meaning my parents and grandparents) moved from Livermore to Stockton. While I have no recollection of this move, I do remember my childhood home. The small single story-home with a two-car garage. The greenery which spanned across the front. Cars occasionally passing by as we overlooked an empty field (which was now the soccer field of  Weston Ranch High). So many memories: good and bad have occurred within that house. Bringing home our first and only St. Bernard puppy. Breaking my arm at