Skip to main content

Top 3 Shows To Help You With Roommates


"The economy stinks, bees are dying, and movies are pretty much all sequels now!" - Schmidt (New Girl)

Breathe. Close your eyes and imagine yourself holding a key. Silver. Brass. Colored, perhaps. Think of the location of your dreams. Maybe you are located in a small house in the suburbs or are skyscrapers high in the tallest apartment in New York City. You are preparing to take your first step into your new home. I know you cannot contain your excitement, go on -- open the door! You pause, discouraged and surprised by what you see in front of you.

Are you kidding me? … roommates?!? 


Roommates are inevitable in the 21st century, at least, for a good amount of us. We strive for our dreams yet must learn to share our space with our … roomies. You may be asking, do I have roommates of my own? Well, no. Now, wait just a minute! Before you start rioting and bringing out the pitch-forks and fire, you might want me to explain. I am an only child. Being an only child, I never had to permanently bunk with anyone. I had my own room, my own space, my own privacy. However, this does not mean I have never had a roommate. 

A few posts back, I discussed ways of coping with family drama. When I was in 7th grade, my cousin -- who I had no recollection of whatsoever, was returning back to California. Being the good Samaritan my mother was, she allowed my aunt and cousin to stay with us until she could find a place of her own. Sweet, huh? Well, you would think. For almost an entire year, my cousin stayed with us. While she was 3 years older than me, it was tough. I was in middle school. She was in high school (technically speaking: she was home-schooled). Although I slowly grew to like her, we had rough patches along the way and still do till this day. To cut to the chase: roommates are challenging.



TOP 3 TELEVISION SHOWS ON NETFLIX TO HELP YOU DEAL WITH ROOMMATES:




So, no one told you life was going to be this way. Your job's a joke, you're broke, and your love life is D.O.A. We get it, not everyone is there for you when you need them most. Friends, a show which originally aired on NBC, follows the story of 6 friends who are struggling with their lives in Manhattan. From 1994 - 2004, Friends has become one of the most iconic and memorable prime-time television sitcoms of the century. Although the ratings helped keep this show on its feet, it is the loveable, yet relatable characters and moments that made viewers fall in love with this show every week. If your roommate is driving you crazy, fell free to grab a shake, sit down at Central Perk (or on your couch) and blast the Friends theme song -- we just might join you.





Who's that girl? Why, It's Jess! Fox's New Girl follows the story of Jessica Day and her roommates (Schmidt, Nick, and Winston) in the wonderful city of Los Angeles. From finding a work-life balance as a teacher, wanting to become a cop, or just trying to deal with being Jewish -- these roommates are constantly testing one another. While all are different, all must learn how to share their beloved space and work together, no matter the costs. If you love a bubbly sitcom with humor, romance, and life-lessons: this is the show for you. Bonus points if you can get your roommates to binge-watch this show with you. But, don't say I warned you if they want to start their own swear-jar or want to start playing True American. It's an experience you won't want to miss.





Females are strong as hell! Netflix's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, follows the story of a group of roommates who (much like Friends and New Girl) must learn to live with one another in the booming city of New York. Whether you are trying to learn the ropes of adulting, are wanting to become a star, or just want to make a change within your neighborhood -- this show checks every mark. While this show is about accepting your roommates, it is also a show about personal growth and bettering oneself as a person. I can guarantee, after watching one episode, you will already feel like taking on the world and becoming a better version of yourself that is truly unbreakable.


xx Alicia



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 3 MCU Movies To Help Awaken Your Inner Superhero

“I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers… I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it’s giving us something. It is giving us a chance.” – Star-Lord ( Guardians of the Galaxy ) People are not born superheroes, they become one.  It should be no surprise that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has inspired thousands of fans -- young and old alike for its captivating storytelling. From web-slingers to super-soldiers, Marvel Studios has created superheroes that inspire us to become heroes of our own.  Growing up, I didn't really know about superheroes. Sure, I knew Superman and Wonder Woman (which I am well aware is DC Comics) -- but I was a Disney kid at heart. I loved the princesses and the classic storytelling -- specifically movies in the Disney Renaissance Era. Aladdin. Lion King. Beauty and the Beast. These were strong protagonists who became a better version of themselves through selfless

The Top 10 Movies That Promote Teamwork

"Don't you realize? The next time you see the sky, it'll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it'll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the best of stuff for us. But right now, they got to do what's right for them. Because it's their time. Their time! Up there! Down here, it's our time. It's our time down here." -- Mikey (The Goonies) TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK Whether you are an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert -- like it or not, teamwork is one aspect within our lives that isn't going anywhere. Teamwork is a term that we all need to better familiarize ourselves with. You might be thinking: "--but, I can do these things on my own. I'm independent. I don't need the help of others". But, you do! We all do! While it may seem exhausting to be apart of a team, it can actually be quite refreshing. Teamwork means collaborating with others who have a different perspective and insight in

Animated Movies To Help You Cope With The Loss of a Loved One

"Know that I'm with you the only way that I can be. Until you're in my arms again. Remember Me" -- Miguel (Coco) Losing someone you care about most deeply is never easy to come to terms with. Even if they aren't gone yet, you have to essentially prepare for the inevitable. While I am not one for being vulnerable with my feelings, it is only fitting with this blog post. I have been close with my grandmother for 20 years. We have never been apart. When I was little, we (meaning my parents and grandparents) moved from Livermore to Stockton. While I have no recollection of this move, I do remember my childhood home. The small single story-home with a two-car garage. The greenery which spanned across the front. Cars occasionally passing by as we overlooked an empty field (which was now the soccer field of  Weston Ranch High). So many memories: good and bad have occurred within that house. Bringing home our first and only St. Bernard puppy. Breaking my arm at